Senior INTERior DESIGNER
We are an established multi-disciplinary architectural and creative studio based in the 124 Street Arts District of Downtown Edmonton, a perfect location for a company that thrives on creative thinking. We pride ourselves on building communities, and developing long term relationships with our clients and stakeholders. We are regarded as dynamic innovators, inspiring our team members to be leaders in the industry. As we continually improve and evolve our design practice, we strive to be the architectural and design studio of choice for clients and staff, as well as thought leaders in our community.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR
An expert interior designer with an ability to manage the Interior Design direction on several concurrent projects and provide project leadership. A diploma or degree in Interior Design and NCIDQ Certification, coupled with 10 to 15 years of design experience are required.
A Senior Interior Designer works closely with Project Leaders, Project Managers, and the Principal to complete design and technical assignments. They also assist with business development, mentoring and coaching of intermediate and junior interior designers, preparing and completing comprehensive interior design construction sets of drawings. Responsibilities may include project management, and contract administration.
We expect a knowledge of building codes and by-laws, and an advanced understanding of construction and construction administration. A strong knowledge and proficiency of graphics software including AutoCAD, Sketch-up, and Adobe CC. Preference given to those with Revit knowledge and experience. Naturally, you're top of the class, with outstanding abilities relating to graphic presentation and design layout, written and oral communication. You're a born leader with excellent time management, relationship building, and teamwork skills, and thrive in the areas of presentation and negotiation.
AS Senior INTERior DESIGNER, YOU'LL BE EXPECTED TO
• Take responsibility for the overall quality of the interior design product.
• Act as or work with the Project Leader(s), Project Manager, and / or Principal(s) to create work plans, drawing lists, scope of services, budgets, and staffing requirements to deliver interior design solutions.
• Review and monitor project scope and initiate corrective actions.
• Establish and maintain interior design production standards and procedures.
• Develop innovative design concepts which are practical, aesthetic, safe and conducive to intended purposes and function, which is reflective of client goals and within project budget.
• Render conceptual design ideas and prepares 2D and 3D presentation / design drawings.
• Maintain currency with Innovative and Best practices.
• Current with Sustainability Practices and LEED.
• Inspirational quality of design.
• Contribute to a culture of strong design / quality and team building.
• Lead and participate in the KENNEDY design process including creation of design concepts, generation of presentation material and required submission documentation.
• Apply building codes and construction regulations knowledge.
• Prepare working drawing contract documents, plans, details and schedules, using AutoCAD / Revit software.
• Co-Ordinate and / or undertake the selection and specification of furniture systems, fixtures and equipment.
• Apply creative talent in conceptual design and rendering skills of either hand or computer sketching to convey design intent.
• Prepare and co-ordinate project schematic / conceptual designs.
• Prepare required layouts, sketches and space plans required to convey design intent.
• Prepare presentation boards and materials.
• Participate in strategic planning, client programming and needs analysis phases.
• Work with technical and contract administration staff to produce successful design development and contract documentation in alignment with KENNEDY’s standards of quality, client program and budget need, and coordinate project specifications.
• Coordinate with project consultants and Construction Manager / General Contractor.
• Chair design and production meetings.
• Actively manage project fee budgets and costs to ensure profitability; draft fee agreements and contracts.
• Approve, monitor, and manage all time spent on projects, expenses, and consultant invoices.
• Work with authorities having jurisdiction to interpret and conform to codes and bylaws.
• Oversee all aspects of contract administration.
• Maintain project records.
• Provide Leadership, training, and mentorship to intermediate and junior staff.
• Keep current of innovative and forward thinking design including research on materials and products.
• Attend on-site visits and field reviews and direct outside contractors and vendors as required.
• Coordinate and / or undertake site deficiency reviews and installation inspections.
• Apply thorough knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines to incorporate Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects.
• Control quality of all project deliverables.
• Manage project performance issues and resolve problems.
• Participate in the peer review process for all KENNEDY projects as requested.
Minimum Requirements - Recap
• Diploma or Degree in Interior Design.
• NCIDQ Certification.
• 10 to 15 years of interior design experience.
• Strong knowledge of current industry trends as well as local industry manufacturers and representation.
• Ability to prepare and complete a comprehensive interior design construction set of drawings.
• Advanced design awareness and knowledge of interior design principles and elements.
• Advanced understanding of construction and construction administration process.
• Knowledge of applicable building codes and by-laws.
• Strong knowledge and proficiency of graphics and CAD software (Adobe CC, Sketch-up, AutoCAD), Revit experience or knowledge is considered an asset.
• Excellent graphic presentation and design layout skills.
• Excellent communication, time management, and teamwork skills.
• Strong leadership skills.
• Ability to develop and maintain client relationships.
• Ability to present to, and negotiate with, clients.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Be able to lead projects with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrate knowledge and experience in delivering high quality design solutions.
GOT WHAT IT TAKES? APPLY NOW!
Please send a cover letter and resume to careers [at] kennedycreate.com. All submissions are kept in confidence.